Open KMZ File
File extension KMZ is most commonly associated with a compressed Keyhole Markup Language (File extension KML) file. KMZ files are commonly used by geobrowser applications such as Google Earth to import geographical data in KML format along with associated resources.
KMZ files are Zip compressed archives which can be opened using any application with an unzipping utility. A typical KMZ file will contain a KML document, which is an XML-based representation of information which can be overlaid on 2D or 3D maps. This will include a geographical location based on longitude and latitude, as well as points, lines or text which can be used to describe or illustrate a location. KML files can also contain paths to external images or 3D textured objects which can also be used to illustrate an area or point on a map. These resources will usually be distributed in subfolders contained within the KMZ file, which can then be imported in their entirety using any geobrowsing software which supports KML.
KMZ files are self-contained, and ensure that all required resources are packaged together and that the file and folder structure is retained, making it an ideal format for the distribution of data in KML format. KMZ files are also much smaller than raw KML files due to compression, making it an ideal format for the distribution of geographical data over networks where bandwidth may be an issue.
KMZ files can be imported using any geobrowsing software which supports KML input. Popular applications which can open KMZ files include Google Earth, Google Maps and Microsoft Virtual Earth. KMZ files which contain 3D geometry information may also be imported into Blender or older versions of Google Sketchup. You can also open KMZ file and extract its content using archiving software such as WinZip, WinRAR, WinAce or Stuffit by changing the extension to File extension ZIP, as these are both the same file format albeit with different extensions.
Open KMZ File on Windows OS
- Find a KMZ file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the KMZ file in question.
- If you know the application which can open KMZ file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open KMZ file then try to search for "KMZ wiki", "application to open KMZ file" or "KMZ file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open KMZ file
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 3 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open KMZ files, file extension kmz and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...